Thursday, March 26, 2009

Product Review: DevaCurl No-Poo and Low-Poo


Type: Cleanser
For: All curly hair types

No-Poo

DevaCurl No-Poo is a very gentle, creamy cleanser with zero sudsing.  It relies on a nifty mix of peppermint and rose oils for a natural cleanse, while leaving the hair and scalp in a good moisture balance.  It rinses well considering the creaminess, and the scent is light and clean (a mix of peppermint and rose).  Gentle enough for every day use, if you are so inclined...of course I caution against over-washing, but your hair will ultimately tell you when it needs to be cleansed.  
My only caution is with the fine curlies out there whose hair weighs down at the drop of a hat.  There have been clients of mine who have found it too heavy.  No-Poo can take a bit of getting used to due to its consistency, so remember to rinse thoroughly with lukewarm water.  Also remember that a little goes a long way (I've never used more than a tablespoon).


Low-Poo

DevaCurl Low-Poo is also a very gentle cleanser, but a bit more "oomfed" up.  It has a slight suds factor that comes from a non-sulfate surfactant, but is nowhere near as stripping as a conventional shampoo.  The scent is best described as a bit like green apple.  A typical user of Low-Poo meets one or more of these criteria:

1.  Very fine hair
2.  Multiple product user (gel with hairspray or mousse)
3.  Oilier scalp

My own bathroom is stocked with both cleansers, and I will use one or the other depending on how my hair feels.  Do I have a LOT of spray in my hair 'cause I just spent the night out on the town?  Low-Poo.  Am I just doing my normal twice-a-week wash?  No-Poo  Am I going to be deep conditioning, and want my hair to be a bit more "prepped?"  Low-Poo.

Both are very high quality and refined cleansers that really do what they say they will.  Remember to read the directions carefully, and to always be gentle in applying the cleanser.  


As always, both products are available for purchase at East 42nd Street Salon.  :)  


No comments:

Post a Comment